Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fresh off the Boat




To be upfront, I am not a food critic or foodie. Mister Wylie will tell you I’d be happy to have popcorn every night – in fact he is out of town and that is exactly what I had for dinner tonight. Being content to eat exploded corn kernels with a dash of salt and a liberal dose of parmesan cheese, doesn’t mean that I don’t have a few favorites. Shrimp, crab, and banana pudding come immediately to mind – making me love the lowcountry.  The fishing boats (moored in Shem Creek) in this post bring the freshest possible sea food to Charleston’s tables. Warning to Visitors: If you do not have access to fresh seafood at home – trying fresh off the boat seafood even once will forever leave you wanting.
When the subject of moving for the second time in three years came up, Clinton promised me that he would buy me shrimp every week. Charleston has made it easy for him to make good on his word. In the Low Country, local restaurants that serve big, fresh shrimp are abundant. The list of places I’ve gotten great shrimp is long, but includes Red’s Ice House, The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene, Gilligan’s, The Noisy Oyster, and Hyman’s Sea Food.  If you want seafood, skip the franchised restaurants, their seafood probably won’t be local.

For me, a perfect Charleston meal starts with a bowl of She Crab Soup, has boiled or grilled shrimp as an entre’ and is brought to a perfect conclusion with a dish of banana pudding.

1 comment: