Thursday, August 1, 2013

Summer in the Low Country



When I am hot, I whine, and to be fair I whine when it is cold. It is no secret that the South is hot and humid. My husband loves to talk about how the first time he took me downtown in the summer, I had rivers running off my neck. True. I don’t want to be out in the heat during the day in the summer. I am not the only one. My husband, who seems to immune to the heat, recently led my daughter, her fiancé and I on a brisk (death) march around downtown Charleston. I kept ducking into stores to be asked by eager sales clerks if they could help me, each time I would reply, “I am just here for the air-conditioning.” My daughter got over heated and told her fiancé it would be best if he just stopped talking.

So – what do you do? Get up early, enjoy the outdoors in the early morning, and evening. Hit the beach where there is a breeze and water. Take a ghost tour of Charleston after dark or go walk on the Battery in the moonlight. There is always ice skating at the Carolina Ice Palace, but I have it on good authority that the staff will not allow skaters to just lay on the ice.  

I recommend taking am evening sail on the he Palmetto Breeze.  At least once a year we take the “Booze Cruise” around Charleston’s harbor.  There is usually a nice breeze and Monday’s sailings include margaritas.
In the summer I visit air conditioned venues as often as possible and remind myself October through April promise beautiful weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment