Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Calhoun Mansion



I enjoy visiting historical homes, and I have visited plenty, from homestead homes made from prairie rock to President Washington’s Mount Vernon home.  Charleston offers a range of historic homes from the preserved Drayton Hall to the Edmondston-Alston House – but if time is short, the Calhoun Mansion is the house I take visitors to.

Why is the Calhoun Mansion so special? First it is the biggest – at 24,000 square feet, it is beautifully restored, and third it is full of an international collection of antique treasures.

On Sixteen Meeting Street the home is surrounded by Japanese water gardens complete with fountains and sculptures. Go around back to the gift shop to buy tour tickets for a modest $15 each. 

The home is demonstration of wealth – The rope pattern around the doors and windows indicates that the original owner made his money in shipping. A basket weave pattern in the hardwood floor is another hallmark of wealth but that is only a hint of what is to come.  Tiffany company lights fixtures and hand painted designs are found throughout.  Enough about the bones of the house – the thing that sets this home apart is the phenomenal collection of antiques that the current owner has placed around the home.  The current owners brought in tracker trailer loads of antiques and the collection is still growing.  I could list the treasures that I found most interesting, but I would rather recommend you visit. The home has earned the nickname the OMG house – I agree, the first time I visited, I found myself so overcome with awe that tears literally streamed down my face.


1 comment: