Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Fireproof Building



There is no denying I love my Kindle, the idea of never being without a good book to read is comforting. Alas, even with access to thousands of works and its handy in-line dictionary my Kindle will never be the same as having a book.

Bibliophilia 
I like, no I love my books. I like to read them, share them, and just know they are in my book shelf. For a long time there was something about being in a book store or a library surrounded with books that just made me feel warm and fuzzy. But times, they are a changing. Bookstores have been disappearing for the last two decades, my local library has an abysmal book selection, and has become little more than a free internet cafe.  This story doesn't have a sad ending, I have found the perfect place to be in the midst of thousands of books. Enter the Fireproof Building.

Historic Archives
Build in 1827, the Fireproof Building, located on 100 Meeting Street, houses the archives of the South Carolina Historical Society. As a member I am able to access old volumes and vertical files that contain family papers that date back to the earliest days of Charleston. I won’t say that I believe in ghosts, but I feel like I am in rarefied air. Maybe it’s because so many published authors have done research at the table where I sit.  Reading a pen and ink personal letter written over 250 years ago, makes me feel like I am the lingering spirit looking in on the private lives of Charleston’s early citizens.

Built to Last
Build to survive the fires that ravaged Charleston, the Greek Doric styled structure was designed with non-flammable materials. Outside the iron window sashes set into the building’s masonry set the building apart from its neighbors.  Inside, the cantilevered stone staircase is worth climbing the steep stair case from Meeting Street to the front door. The sturdy building has survived fires, earthquakes and bombardments. I look forward to spending many hours peering into Charleston’s history. Ironically I am looking for information about the fate of another building in the earthquake of 1886.

No comments:

Post a Comment