Friday, August 9, 2013

Glasgow, Montana

Today I am in Glasgow, Montana – home of the Scotties.
I was born in Glasgow and lived here until I was 12. My parents bought a home on nearby Fort Peck Lake just after I graduated where my mom still spends her summers. Glasgow is a small town, of just over 3,000, but it is still the county seat and the place where people from the communities and farms come to get their groceries.

The theater plays two movies at time, this week The Heat and Despicable Me 2 is playing. There is community swimming pool and Glasgow less than 20 miles from Fort Peck, known locally as “the lake”. Outdoor recreation is big out here, the hunting and fishing are great, and there is lots of space to ride a ATV or get out on the lake on a jet ski or a boat.

I really don’t know what teenagers do in this town, I couldn't stand to stay in town in the summer. I was always at camp or working on a ranch.  When I was a kid, here, we rode our bikes all over, went to the pool and took part in summer programs at the local Civic Center.  Now I spend my time in Montana with a let’s say, a more  mature set who enjoy getting together for cards, playing or listening to music, and shooting the breeze. While I am here I expect to enjoy swimming in the lake, getting beat in the card game Whist and working on my mom’s to do list. Look for updates about dinosaurs, the construction of Fort Peck Damn and my attempt to make some outdoor irrigation revisions in mom's yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment